Friday, January 1, 2010

Vacation?!

This won't be my usual rant. Just hoping to inspire (or guilt) others into getting off their butts for at least part of vacation.

I've gorged a little more than I should have the last 2 weeks. I could have eaten worse, but I could have eaten a lot better too. I can't say I have been as active as I would have liked, but I have been keeping up with workouts regardless of circumstances. With all this snow and no snow blower, I think I have plenty of shoveling, sledding and snow ball fights coming my way the next two days to make up for it.

On Monday we drove up to North Conway to stay with family and go tubing on Mt Cranmore. I skipped the 7am workout so we could get an early start. Aside from towing a couple kids around in tubes and an epic snowball fight in the park, my workout of the day was done in a 7x3 ft area between a bunk bed and a closet. (I think this is a more accurate description of a 'prison workout') I brought a pushup bar, a jungle gym, power wheel and jump rope with me. I used what worked best for the circumstances.

This is my 'No excuses' workout for December 28th:

15:15 (15 seconds work: 15 seconds rest) of each for 10 rounds. Rest 2min, then go to next exercise:
Hindu Pushups (with pushup bar)
PowerWheel rollouts
Hindu Squats
Tuck Jumps

Last night was spent partying with great friends and aside from our Wii Bowling Tournament, there wasn't much else for activity unless you count eating, drinking, eating and eating. We were supposed to go snowshoeing for the first time ever today, but with conditions less than ideal and some scheduling conflicts with the kids I was left to improvise once again.

This is my 'I'd rather be snowshoeing' workout to kick off the New Year. a.k.a 'Something I wouldn't even have thought of doing (or been able to) a year ago today':

Alternating ladders - 10,9,8...1 and 1,2,3...10

A1 Down: Pushups (with bar)
A2 Up: Body Rows

B1 Down: Mountain Climbers (20, 18, 16...)
B2 Up: Skiers (2, 4, 6...)

C1 Down: PowerWheel Knees to Elbows
C2 Up: PowerWheel Hamstring Curls

D1 Down: Burpees
D2 Up: Deck Squats

Neither workout took more than 45min including warm-up and cool down. I used minimal equipment (easy to pack and bring along) and I needed little to no space to get it done. They both kicked my ass and I was still feeling Monday's workout during my Wednesday morning gym workout. Although I'd rather be working out at DynamicSC, working out at home does not have to be a compromise. If you can make 'workout' time 'play' time, even better. Play in the snow, save gas and shovel the driveway or walk way or find a 3 year old to follow around for an hour. The latter being the most exhausting and fun. (Of course, make sure you know them and get their parents ok first! It's supposed to be fun, not creepy.) But if you rather have a set plan try this blog out for some great ideas.

It's a New Year, so try something new this weekend. Who knows? Maybe by Jan 1st, 2011 you'll find yourself doing something other than nursing a hang over.

No comments:

Post a Comment