Monday, March 15, 2010

That's enough

I've noticed that those who are truly passionate and committed to something know how to answer the question 'What's enough?' Look at those 'crazy' bikers or runners out there in the bone-chilling winter months or battling through a classic New England Nor'Easter. Those 'nutjobs' are out there because they know the answer. Although I wonder, do they even ask the question?

When faced with a late January freeze, many people will say it's too cold for a ride. A dedicated biker will say 'It's warm enough' as they slip on their thermal gear and hit the road.

As buckets of water pour from the sky, some may find themselves rolling over and tugging the blankets up tight to their chin, happy for the extra sleep. The passionate runner will say 'It's not wet enough' as they slip on their Gore-Tex and hit the trails.

You've probably heard the rationalizations from friends and co-workers, or it may even be your own; 'I didn't complete the workout but I think I did enough to work off the doughnut I had for breakfast.', 'I would have run more but I think that mile was enough, don't want to over do it you know.', 'I ate well enough today, I'll go with the meat-lover's pizza for dinner.'

I'm thinking if you have to convince yourself it's enough, it isn't. When you feel it's enough, you'll never question it.

Now with that said, where's the line between dedication and stupidity? This past Sunday I was supposed to go for an inaugural trail run with my friend Chris the super-ultra-runner. (Not his legal name) After a late night and a one hour 'spring ahead' imposed on the clock I stumbled out of bed raring to go.. ok, whimpering, but going nonetheless. Chris sends me a text asking about my rain gear. Huh? It's my inaugural trail run, I haven't invested in 'gear' aside from the shoes I have been using on the road 1-2 times a week for the last month. (Or is it 1-2 times in the last month?) I have some hiking shoes and a Gore-Tex ski jacket, but heavy shoes and a parka didn't seem like the sort of 'gear' I needed.

I reply that I have none but wasn't really thinking about it. I didn't want to 'wuss out' over some rain. In fairness, we were in the midst of one of those aforementioned Nor'Easters with strong winds and a steady stream of rain. Chris suggested we don't go if I don't have sufficient gear. 'There's a difference between being a wuss and being smart', he tells me... Fair enough, he's the super-ultra-runner that knows best, back to bed I went. But then today something occurred to me... I think he still went running. Who's a wuss now? Maybe it's just paranoia talking, or maybe it's my lack of facial hair that does it, but I am thinking that wuss is ME! Perhaps it wasn't just rain gear that I didn't have enough of. If I am asking the question, I must know the answer.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this I get the sense that you feel like you should have gone for the run. In my opinion, not having sufficient gear is not an excuse to not go for a run. "Sufficient gear" is a modern phenomenon that enables more comfort for doing the same tasks that people have been doing forever without "sufficient gear".. People were running in rain and wind long before Nike and Gore-Tex... I'm not going to call you a wuss. I might suggest that you're uncomfortable with your decision to bail on the run and that the next time you are confronted with the same decision you should get out there and do it. I admire the fact that you are questioning your decision. Too many people would have been more than happy with their decision to pull up the covers and "sit this one out". You clearly are not, and that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kevin. I think you'll like my 'conclusion' in the next blog...

    ReplyDelete